Master Masui is always researching, designing and making new knives to satisfy the different needs of his numerous customers. Consequently, he uses a wide variety of different of steels and handle materials. We respect his active spirit, positive-attitude and flexibility.
This SHIKI knife is extra special limited edition.
The special matt finish and silver-gray coloring of the VG-10 Nickel Damascus blade (HRC 60 to 61) has natural and simple wavy appearance Damascus layers.
To match the special matt finish of VG-10 Nickel Damascus blade, Mr. Masui decided to use beautiful natural wood texture of Thuya Burl wood handle scales. The handle and the seamless stainless steel bolsters are contoured by hand so that they are comfortable to grip and are nicely accented by a decorative mosaic pin and a black & gold spacer.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: Shiki Specials VG-10 Nickel Damascus Series Gyuto
Blade Material: VG-10 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Thuya Burl Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Gyuto 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 240mm
Total Length: 362mm
Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
Blade Width: 4.6mm
Handle Length: 122mm
Total Weight: 201g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife that has a good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.