Master Masui is always researching, designing and making new knives to satisfy the different needs of his numerous customers. Consequently, he uses a wide variety of different of steels and handle materials. We respect his active spirit, positive-attitude and flexibility.
This Paring knife is extra special limited edition SHIKI knife. Simple and elegant appearance of semi-mirror Polished R-2 Nickel Damascus blade.(HRC 62 to 63)
To match the impressive appearance of the R-2 Nickel Damascus blade, Mr. Masui decided to use beautiful natural wood texture of Quince Burl wood handle scales. The handle and the seamless stainless steel bolsters are contoured and polished by hand so that they are comfortable to grip and are nicely accented by a decorative mosaic pin and a black spacer.
The Paring knife is useful for a variety of commonplace kitchen tasks, but it is primarily used for peeling and accurately shaping fruits and vegetables. Paring knives are particularly useful when cutting small items held in the hand, which makes them indispensable in the kitchen and an ideal companion for Gyuto knives.
Knife Model: Shiki Specials R-2 Nickel Damascus Series Paring
Blade Material: R-2 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Quince Burl Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Paring 80mm (3.1")
Cutting edge length: 80mm
Total Length: 188mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Blade Width: 19mm
Handle Length: 108m
Total Weight: 63g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.