New SHIKI Tsuchime (“Hammered Pattern”) Texture VG-10 Damascus Series Knife (HRc. 60-61) has a special mirror polished blade and hand contoured Moabi wood (‘African Pear wood’) handle scales.
To match the impressive and unique appearance of the mirror polished Tsuchime Damascus blade, Mr. Masui decided to use Moabi wood (‘African Pear wood’) for the handle scales. It is a warm-colored wood that often displays attractive figuring. The handle and the seamless stainless steel bolsters are contoured and polished by hand so that they are comfortable to grip and are nicely accented by a decorative mosaic pin and a red spacer.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: Shiki New World Series Gyuto
Blade Material: VG-10 Hammered Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Moabi Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Gyuto 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 245mm
Total Length: 375mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Blade Width: 51mm
Handle Length: 128mm
Total Weight: 228g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife that has a good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.