To distinguish these very special ‘SHIKI Black Dragon Series High-End Custom’ knife “ from other SHIKI brand knives, Master Craftsman Mr. Masui has selected to use only the very best materials and has spent even more time to ensure that every production process, particularly the detailed hand finishing, is performed faultlessly.
“California Buck Eye” resin-stabilized wood and arranged to have it specially imported from the U.S.A. This beautiful wood has a natural and dramatic figure that varies in color from an attractive warm cream through to a smokey-gray. The ‘California Buck Eye’ handle scales and the seamlessly welded stainless steel bolster are nicely hand contoured, for perfect balance and comfortable grip. Three gorgeous decorative Mosaic Pins add an elegant accent and contrast nicely with the unique wood handle.
The special matt finish and silver-gray coloring of the VG-10 Nickel Damascus blade (HRC 60 to 61) is also specially developed to beautifully echo the figure and color of the ‘California Buck Eye’ handle scales.
The Paring knife is useful for a variety of commonplace kitchen tasks, but it is primarily used for peeling and accurately shaping fruits and vegetables. Paring knives are particularly useful when cutting small items held in the hand, which makes them indispensable in the kitchen and an ideal companion for Gyuto knives.
Knife Model: SHIKI Black Dragon Series Paring
Blade Material: VG-10 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: California Buck Eye Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Paring 80mm ( 3.1")
Cutting edge length: 80mm
Total Length: 190mm
Blade Thickness: 2mm
Blade Width: 21mm
Handle Length: 103mm
Total Weight: 75g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knives can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.