Mutsumi Hinoura is a fourth generation Echigo forge-smith and his family has over 100 years of history and experience in the knife making arts.
The concept behind the collaborative knives that we have produced with Mutsumi Hinoura was simple: We both wanted to to produce superbly sharp, highly practical and aesthetically attractive high-carbon steel knives that would satisfy the needs and desires of knife enthusiasts who love high-carbon steel knives.
We requested that Mutsumi Hinoura use White Steel No.1 for the core blade steel. It is sandwiched with outer layers of soft stainless steel with a beautifully Kurouchi finished. The laminated construction means that only the high-carbon steel blade core is likely to discolor or rust, since the outer layers of soft stainless steel are corrosion-resistant and easy to maintain. The layers of soft stainless steel also improve the blade’s resistance to impact and bending forces. White Steel No.1 is made by further refining White Steel No.2 and adding more Carbon. The extra Carbon allows it to achieve a slightly higher HRc. than White Steel No.2. It can be sharpened to an exceedingly fine edge, has very good edge retention and is easy to re-sharpen.
This is the Limited Edition, the beautiful Kurouchi White Steel No.1 Nakiri comes with Custom Handmade Octagon Shaped Exotic Burl Wood & Indian Rose Wood Handle with White Spacer. One of a Kind ! Available with only 1 Pc.
The Nakiri is a double bevel edged knife that is rectangular in profile and has a tall, thin blade. It is popular throughout Japan and is often used by home cooks for quickly and efficiently chopping, slicing or mincing vegetables and fruit. It is becoming increasingly popular with vegetarians.
Knife Model: Mutsumi Hinoura Limited, Kurouchi White Steel No.1 Series Nakiri
Blade Material: White Steel No.1
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Custom Handmade Octagon Shaped Exotic Burl Wood & Indian Rose Wood Handle with White Spacer
Saya Included: No.
Nakiri 165mm (6.4")
Cutting edge length: 165mm
Total Length: 325mm
Blade Thickness: 3.8mm
Blade Width: 51mm
Handle Length: 138mm
Total Weight: 205g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and its sharp edge of your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra cares and attentions to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.