In the year 2006, we had chance to meet Mr. Itou and his impressive Custom Kitchen Knife Collections. We don’t forget the moment (the time we met Mr.Itou and his custom knives first time) and how his knives are impressive and unique. We started to introduce his fine custom knife collections for our customers then.
Since then, his knives have attracted many customers and they are also impressed with its outstanding cutting performance and edge retention.
Mr. Itou uses R-2 Powdered High Speed Tool Steel for the cutting edge of his knives (HRc. 62) and he also creates the incredibly beautiful and powerful appearance Damascus knives.
As seen on other expensive full tang custom knives, Mr. Itou hand tapers the blade tang in order to reduce weight and to perfectly balance the blade and handle. He contours and polishes the handle to ensure a perfect grip and an attractive finish. This knife comes with good durability and uniquness of White Corian Handle.
Each one of Mr. Itou’s knives is a unique ‘one-off’, or ‘one-of-a-kind’ knife, that is 100% custom handmade and hammer forged.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: Mr. Itou R-2 Custom Damascus Gyuto
Blade Material: R-2 Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: White Corian Handle with Nickel Silver Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Gyuto 180mm (7")
Total Length: 305mm
Blade Thickness: 2.4mm
Total Weight: 207g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and its sharp edge of your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.