Talented Forge-Smith Master Yamamoto spent tremendous time for making this special edition “Core-Less Custom Damascus Petty Knife”.
What is Core-Less Damascus ?
As you know, the clad metal is produced by forging different layers of meal together, taking advantage of the strength of each piece as an integrated unit while ensuring any weaknesses are balanced out by each layer. With this clad technology, they have succeeded in forging two different Haganes of VG-10 and VG-2 steel layers together. It was considered to be impossible to forge two different high carbon steels together. It is layered of total 70 very thin VG-10 and VG-2 steels, that makes a Core-less multi-layer stainless Damascus steel. Thanks for this state-of-art technology that made it possible to compose of a perfect blend that produces a long-lasting and extremely sharp cutting edge, in addition to the resistance to bending, breaking and rusting. This blend layers also feature a beautiful vortex Damascus patterns.
Beautiful Core-Less Damascus blade matches well with the hand contoured Ironwood Handle. This is Forge-Smith Yamamoto’s Special Edition, available with only 1Pc.
A mainstay of professional Western kitchens, the Petty knife is a small general-purpose knife used for peeling, shaping, and slicing fruits and vegetables, chopping herbs, and making garnishes. The compact size and relatively narrow blade of the Petty knife mean that it is very nimble and controllable, thus it is ideal for making precise cuts.
Knife Model: Yamamoto Core-Less Custom Damascus Petty
Blade Material: Core-Less Damascus blade (VG-10 / VG-2)
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Ironwood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Petty 165mm (6.4")
Cutting edge length: 165mm
Total Length: 280mm
Blade Thickness: 2.4mm
Blade Width: 36mm
Handle Length: 107mm
Total Weight: 166g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.