At the Seki Outdoor Knife Show in October 2014, I fell in love with this unusual handmade knife. When I picked it up and had a closer look, I saw that every little detail had been carefully taken care of, it had perfect grip and balance, and overall it was the fruit of its creator's spirit and philosophy. Hiroshi Saito, the maker of this knife, has been dedicating long years to creating custom knives. The making process of custom knives is very different from that of factory knives, which follows many standardized automatic steps. Making custom knives requires effort, and the value of the final product lies in how the product reflects the creator's philosophy and skill to perfection.
The slightly rounded curved shape of handmade handle and stainless bolster are designed to match the beautifully hand-polished VG-10 Up-Swept blade shape and to fit the so-called 'pinch grip', the way many numbers of users hold a knife. Designed to be easy to grip, the handle is hand contoured and finished for universal use.
For all those who love cooking, from professional chefs to people cooking at home, if you are looking for slightly different, high quality handmade knives, the Saito knife are IT!
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: Saito Custom VG-10 Santoku
Blade Material: VG-10
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Bocote Wood Handle
Saya Included: No.
Santoku 185mm (7.2")
(Bocote Wood Handle)
Cutting edge length: 185mm
Total Length: 310mm
Blade Thickness: 2.4mm
Blade Width: 47mm
Handle Length: 117mm
Total Weight: 155g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife that has a good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.