The Chrome Molybdenum Vanadium high carbon stainless steel blade of Masamoto’s ST Series is Sub-Zero quenched during heat-treatment. This allows their HRc. 62 blade to be much tougher and more resistant to damage than conventional blades and improves edge retention.
This knife uses a full tang construction and has a stainless steel bolster, which improves blade balance. The black Pakka wood (Resin-stabilized wood composite) handle scales is permanently riveted to the tang and are both water- resistant and bacteria-resistant, which makes them ideal for use in professional kitchens. The edges of the handle and bolster have also been rounded-off to allow a comfortable, secure grip.
The blade is fully hand-sharpened by Masamoto’s craftsmen, so you can experience its extreme sharpness and high cutting performance straight from the box!
Honesuki knives were originally intended to be a specialist knife for de-boning and breaking down poultry, but many people have found this knife is also capable of filleting fish or red meat and can perform many of the tasks that Western boning knives are used for.
Knife Model: Masamoto ST Series Boning
Blade Material: The Chrome Molybdenum Vanadium high carbon stainless steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 70/30
Handle Material: Black Pakka Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Boning 145mm (5.7")
Cutting edge length: 145mm
Total Length: 265mm
Blade Thickness: 2.8mm
Blade Width: 39mm
Handle Length: 115mm
Total Weight: 162g
Masamoto’s craftsman is ready to make the left handed version with suitable edge geometry by hand whetstone re-sharpening process at the following additional cost.
Petty + US$12
Santoku, Gyuto and Sujihiki + $18
Honesuki + $16
Please allow 2 to 3 business days for shipping.
For your information, most of the Japanese Kitchen knives come originally with double bevel edge sharpened 70/30 (face side/back side) for Western style knives. This geometry came from Japanese Traditional knives with single bevel edge and Shinogi blade construction. This is one of the special features and reasons why Japanese knives have an excellent cutting performance.
However, this 70/30 edge geometry is designed for right hand use, so we have a service to modify it to 30/70 for left handed users with re-sharpening process by skilled craftsman.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife can be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife, which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- *e recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.