Masamoto uses very pure Japanese virgin carbon steel for the high quality HC Series knife. To provide excellent edge retention and edge sharpness, the blades are heat-treated to HRc. 61-62.
Masamoto HC Series knife features full tang construction, water-resistant black pakkawood (Resin-stabilized wood composite) handle scales and a seamlessly forge-welded stainless steel bolster for extra durability and corrosion-resistance. The handle scales and bolster have also been rounded-off to allow a comfortable, secure grip.
The Garasuki shares the same overall blade profile as the Honesuki, but the Garasuki is larger in size, thicker, and heavier. These features make it ideal for de-boning and breaking down the larger sizes of poultry and cuts of meat. Just like the Honesuki, many people have found this knife is also capable of filleting fish or red meat and can perform many of the tasks that Western boning knives are used for.
Knife Model: Masamoto HC Series Garasuki
Blade Material: Virgin Carbon Steel
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 61 to 62
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 70/30
Handle Material: Black Pakka Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Garasuki 175mm (6.8")
Cutting edge length: 180mm
Total Length: 310mm
Blade Thickness: 4mm
Blade Width: 45mm
Handle Length: 118mm
Total Weight: 268g
Masamoto’s craftsman is ready to make the left handed version with suitable edge geometry by hand whetstone re-sharpening process at the following additional cost.
Petty + US$12
Santoku, Gyuto and Sujihiki + $18
Honesuki + $16
Please allow 2 to 3 business days for shipping.
For your information, most of the Japanese Kitchen knives come originally with double bevel edge sharpened 70/30 (face side/back side) for Western style knives. This geometry came from Japanese Traditional knives with single bevel edge and Shinogi blade construction. This is one of the special features and reasons why Japanese knives have an excellent cutting performance.
However, this 70/30 edge geometry is designed for right hand use, so we have a service to modify it to 30/70 for left handed users with re-sharpening process by skilled craftsman.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and their sharp edge of your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.