From the first moment that I saw this unique Damascus carbon steel knife, I was reminded of the beautiful, aggressive & irregular patterns that can be seen in the Hamon of Japanese swords. This beautiful Fujiwara Kanefusa Hamon Damascus Series knife is made with alternating layers of White steel No.2 and soft iron, so it is possible for the entire blade to discolor or rust if it is not properly cared for. However, this knife will allow you to enjoy great edge sharpness, great edge retention and it is easy to re-sharpen.
The knife comes with the popular “D-Shaped” traditional-style handle, which is made from magnolia wood and a water buffalo horn ferrule.
For those people who would like to experience the fine cutting performance of an authentic Japanese traditional-style knife at an affordable price, we highly recommend these Fujiwara Kanefusa knife.
Please note that because the hammer forging process is done by hand, the area of spine near the handle remains thicker than normal knives. However, to ensure fine cutting performance, the blades are hand tapered from the spine down toward the cutting edge and from the blade heel towards the tip.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: Fujiwara Kanefusa FKJ Series Hamon Damascus Wa Santoku
Blade Material: White Steel No.2 Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 60 to 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: D Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: No.
Wa Santoku 170mm (6.6")
Cutting edge length: 170mm
Total Length: 305mm
Blade Thickness: 4mm
Blade Width: 47mm
Total Weight: 121g
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.