For our new Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Brand Wa Series, we have closely worked with Master Forge-Smith Master Yamamoto in Takefu City where has been famous for traditional hammer forged knives (Echizen Uchi-Hamono).
Here are the impressive Traditional forged knives from Master Yamamoto, using the Special Powdered High Speed Tool Steel material “R-2”, a proven steel for outstanding cutting performance with a longer edge retention and good rust resistance (easy maintenance).
We have requested Master Yamamoto to use R-2 Powdered high speed tool steel material with his fine hammer forging process. His hammer forging technique makes the steel components finer and stabilized for much better cutting performance, resulting this R-2 blade is comparable with other famous powdered steels "ZDP-189 and Cowry-X" in term of the edge retention.
It also features Master Yamamoto’s original method and idea of Damascus blade with repeated circled layers. He called this unique Damascus layered patterns as “Uzushio”(whirlpools)
Sparkling white & silver (nickel) vortex Damascus layers patterns in Dark Grayish Colored blade are elegantly matches with beautiful natural wood texture of Octagon Shape Red-Sandalwood handle with Black Pakka Wood ferrules.
For those who demand extra cutting performance over the stainless steel blade, and for those who seek something more Japanese Traditional taste, unique Damascus knives, we are proud to introduce and recommend this traditional forged knife.
The tall blade and rounded nose / tip of the Santoku make it a versatile knife that is well suited to cutting meat, fish, or vegetables; Hence it’s name, which literally means “Three-purpose”. The Santoku is often recommended as a multi-purpose kitchen knife.
Knife Model: JCK Original Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan R-2 Vortex Damascus Series Wa Santoku
Blade Material: R-2 Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Red Sandal Wooden Handle with Black Pakka Wood Ferrule
Saya Included: No.
Wa Santoku 165mm (6.4")
Cutting edge length: 165mm
Total Length: 305mm
Blade Thickness: 3mm
Blade Width: 46mm
Handle Length: 127mm
Total Weight: 130g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy the fine craftsmanship and its sharp edge of your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for a long time.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for a long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in a dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.