The Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Japanese traditional-style knife is hand forged and hand sharpened by our team of top-ranking forge-smiths, sharpeners and craftsmen from Sakai City, Osaka. We have confidence that the knife will be well received because of the following advantages:
- The level of craftsmanship offered by our special team of artisans.
- The knives have excellent overall quality and are aesthetically beautiful because our team of craftsmen pay extra attention during the production of the knife, particularly during ‘fit and finishing’.
- There are no compromises made with respect to the finishing of the blade and handle, including the spine, finger choil / heel, and the gap between the blade tang and the handle (The “Machi”).
- This extra work is not only important for the overall appearance of the knife; it also provides a more comfortable grip and a more secure handle. These knives are perfect for customers who not only care about the aesthetic appearance of their knives, but also their functionality.
- We have a direct relationship with our team of top-ranking craftsmen in Sakai.
- This allows us to offer you the highest quality knives at a specially reduced price.
- This has allowed us to offer you a wide range of traditional Japanese Hon Kasumi (“True Mist”, or “True Haze”) style knives in both high carbon White Steel No.2.
A cutting edge of high carbon Hitachi White Steel #2 that is welded forged with soft iron for increased toughness and ease of re-sharpening. White Steel No.2 is a reliable Japanese high carbon steel that is often used for high-grade Japanese traditional-style knives due to the cutting performance, edge retention and ease of re-sharpening.
This knife comes with a comfortable octagonal magnolia wood handle with black water buffalo horn bolster / ferrules, and includes a matching magnolia wood Saya (“Sheath”) with black pakkawood saya pin for safekeeping.
Yanagiba knives are primarily used to slice boneless fish fillets for Sashimi and Sushi dishes, but they can also be used to fillet small to medium-sized fish and are often used for skinning fish. The narrow blade and relatively acute edge angle of the Yanagiba are features which greatly reduce the effort required to cut through ingredients. As with the Sujihiki, the long blade allows the fish to be cut in one single drawing motion, from heel to tip.
The combination of cutting technique, acute blade angle, and sharp edge result in very little cellular damage in the cut surface. This is particularly important for dishes where the fish is eaten raw, because it helps to preserve the original flavor and texture of the fish.
Knife Model: JCK Original Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Hon Kasumi Series Yanagiba
Blade Material: White Steel No.2
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 62 to 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Single Bevel Edge
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Magnolia Wooden Handle with Water Buffalo Horn Ferrule
Saya Included: Yes.
Yanagiba 270mm (10.6")
Cutting edge length: 260mm
Blade Thickness: 3.9mm
Blade Width: 32mm
Total Weight: 162g
Japanese Traditional Style “Wa-Bocho” knives generally come with Single bevel edge for right handed use (the opposite side of blade is ground flat with slightly concaved shape). The reverse grinding left handed version is also available at 50% extra of regular price. (Sorry for much extra! Due to a small demand for the left handed version in Japan, it is costly to run a special small production from the beginning step). We try to keep the left handed versions in stock, but once sold out, it may take 30 to 45 days for delivery. Please contact us first for the availability at email.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Carbon steel blade kitchen knife that can get rust and discolor easily, and requires extra care and attention to prevent rust.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. Please apply Tsubaki oil on the blade and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.