This is the Custom Limited Edition and result of Collaborative works with Custom Handle Maker for making one of a kinds, Custom Limited Edition Sukenari ZDP-189 Nickel Damascus Kiritsuke.
“ZDP-189” is a one of the new generation of Powdered Metallurgy High-Speed Tool Steels and is produced by Hitachi Metals Ltd. Needless to say, knife enthusiasts have rated ZDP-189 as one of the very best steels for making premium cutlery.
Sukenari’s knowledge of traditional forging processes and vast experience with modern high performance steels has proved to be invaluable when working with these new high performance steels.
The ZDP-189 core blade steel (HRc. 65) is forge-welded with Stainless Damascus steel cladding, which is made with alternating layers of Nickel Steel and Stainless Steel. The blade is beautifully mirror polished and finished so that the white color of Nickel Steel layers vividly contrast with the glossy silver color of the Stainless Steel layers.
Sukenari ZDP-189 Nickel Damascus knife is fitted with an octagonal Stabilized and Dyed Spalted Maple body with Composite Stone Faux Ivory ferrule and Stabilized Mammoth Tooth endcap and Mammoth Tooth&Nickel Silver spacers.
This knife comes with a handcrafted Magnolia wooden Saya (Sheath).
The lightweight, double bevel edged Kiritsuke might be compared to a combination of the Nakiri and the Sujihiki. It is a very versatile knife that can be used to perform many of the tasks normally done with a Gyuto.
Knife Model: Sukenari ZDP-189 Nickel Damascus Kiritsuke
Blade Material: ZDP-189 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 65
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagonal Stabilized and Dyed Spalted Maple body with Composite Stone Faux Ivory ferrule and Stabilized Mammoth Tooth endcap and Mammoth Tooth&Nickel Silver spacers.
Saya Included: Yes.
Kiritsuke 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 235mm
Total Length: 395mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 50mm
Handle Length: 146mm
Total Weight: 242g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.