This is the Custom Limited Edition and result of Collaborative works with Custom Handle Maker for making one of a kinds, Custom Limited Edition Sukenari R-2 Nickel Damascus Wa Gyuto knife.
R-2 has a very rich chemical composition, which includes Carbon 1.25-1.45 %, Chromium 14- 16%, Molybdenum 2.3- 3.3 %, and Vanadium 1.8- 2.2 %.
Sukenari has a lot of experience and considerable skill in hammer forging the high performance modern steels. Sukenari leveraged this expertise to make this R-2 steel knife with a beautiful wavy Damascus pattern, and extra high-cutting performance and edge retention (HRC 63). Special mirror-polishing and finishing processes create a high contrast Damascus, with shiny layers of stainless steel and white-colored layers of nickel steel.
This Custom Limited Edition Sukenari R-2 Nickel Damascus Wa Gyuto knife is fitted with an Custom Hand-Made Octagonal Resin and Hybrid Wood Handle (Composite Stone Ivory Ferrule & Endcap; Nickel Silver Spacers).
For safekeeping, this knife comes with a matching Black (Lacquered) Wooden Saya ("Sheath") and a black pakkawood Saya pin.
This knife comes packaged in an elegant wooden presentation box that is secured with woven fabric ties / straps.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: Custom Limited Edition, Sukenari R-2 Nickel Damascus Wa Gyuto
Blade Material: R-2 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Custom Hand-Made Octagonal Resin and Hybrid Wood Handle (Composite Stone Ivory Ferrule & Endcap; Nickel Silver Spacers)
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Gyuto 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 230mm
Total Length: 390mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 50mm
Handle Length: 146mm
Total Weight: 241g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.