This Custom, Limited Edition Sukenari R-2 Nickel-Damascus Kiritsuke knife is the result of collaborative work with a Custom Handle Maker, who makes 'one-of-a-kind' handles, and the passionate forge-smith Sukenari.
R-2 is a powdered metallurgy steel that has a very rich chemical composition, which includes Carbon (1.25-1.45%), Chromium (14- 16%), Molybdenum (2.3- 3.3%) and Vanadium (1.8- 2.2%).
Sukenari has a lot of experience and considerable skill in hammer forging high-performance modern steels. Sukenari have leveraged this expertise to make R-2 steel knives that have a beautiful wavy Damascus pattern, extra-high edge retention and exceptional cutting performance (HRc. 63). A special mirror-polishing and finishing processes is used to create a high contrast Damascus, which has shiny layers of stainless steel and white-colored layers of nickel steel.
This Custom, Limited Edition Sukenari R-2 Nickel Damascus Kiritsuke knife is fitted with a Hand-Made Octagonal Handle that is made with Hybrid Resin Wood Handle & End Cap (Ironwood Ferrule; Nickel Silver and White Spacers).
For safekeeping, this knife comes with a matching Black (Lacquered) Wooden Saya ("Sheath") and a black pakkawood Saya pin.
This knife comes packaged in an elegant wooden presentation box that is secured with woven fabric ties / straps - This is a ideal if you are shopping for a special gift!
The lightweight, double bevel edged Kiritsuke might be compared to a combination of the Nakiri and the Sujihiki. It is a very versatile knife that can be used to perform many of the tasks normally done with a Gyuto.
Knife Model: Custom Limited Edition, Sukenari R-2 Nickel Damascus Kiritsuke
Blade Material: R-2 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 63
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Custom Hand-Made Octagonal Hybrid Resin Wood Handle & End Cap (Ironwood Ferrule; Nickel Silver and White Spacers)
Saya Included: Yes.
Kiritsuke 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 235mm
Total Length: 395mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 51mm
Handle Length: 144mm
Total Weight: 235g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.