This Custom Limited Edition Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Wa-Gyuto Knife was produced in Collaboration with a Custom Handle Maker, who makes beautiful "one-of-a-kind" handles.
Hitachi ZDP-189 is a premium Powdered Metallurgy (P.M.) tool steel that includes 3% Carbon and 20% Chromium. Although ZDP-189 is very attractive to knife enthusiasts, it is seldom seen in the kitchen knife market.
This Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 knife is made using difficult and time-consuming forging and hand sharpening processes by Passionate Forge-Smith Sukenari. Sukenari have devoted many years to testing and refining their ZDP-189 knife production techniques, and these incredible knives stand as a testament to their hard work and their hammer forging expertise.
The blade core of ZDP-189 steel (HRc. 65!) is sandwiched between two layers of soft, corrosion-resistant stainless steel.
This knife has a Custom Octagonal Wa Handle (Stabilized Maple Burl and Green Resin handle, Gabon Ebony ferrule and spacers in M3 nickel silver & black G-10). For safekeeping, this knife comes with a matching Black (Lacquered) Wooden Saya ("Sheath") and a black pakkawood Saya pin.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: JCK Original Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Clad Series Wa Gyuto
Blade Material: ZDP-189 Clad
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 65
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Octagon Shaped Custom Wa Handle (Stabilized Maple Burl and Green Resin with Gabon Ebony ferrule, M3 nickel silver & black G-10 spacers)
Saya Included: Yes.
Wa Gyuto 240mm (9.4")
Cutting edge length: 235mm
Total Length: 395mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 50mm
Handle Length: 150mm
Total Weight: 209g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use. For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left handler can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.