This Custom Limited Edition Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Kiritsuke Knife was produced in Collaboration with a Custom Handle Maker, who makes beautiful "one-of-a-kind" handles.
Hitachi ZDP-189 is a premium Powdered Metallurgy (P.M.) tool steel that includes 3% Carbon and 20% Chromium. Although ZDP-189 is very attractive to knife enthusiasts, it is seldom seen in the kitchen knife market.
This Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 knife is made using difficult and time-consuming forging and hand sharpening processes by Passionate Forge-Smith Sukenari. Sukenari have devoted many years to testing and refining their ZDP-189 knife production techniques, and these incredible knives stand as a testament to their hard work and their hammer forging expertise.
The blade core of ZDP-189 steel (HRc. 65!) is sandwiched between two layers of soft, corrosion-resistant stainless steel.
This Custom Limited Edition Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Clad Kiritsuke knife is fitted with an Custom Hand-Made Octagonal Custom Hand-Made Octagonal Resin Wood Hybrid Handle (Resin Wood Hybrid Ferrule & endcap with White and Blue Spacers).
For safekeeping, this knife comes with a handcrafted Magnolia Wooden Saya ("Sheath") and a black pakkawood Saya pin.
The lightweight, double bevel edged Kiritsuke might be compared to a combination of the Nakiri and the Sujihiki. It is a very versatile knife that can be used to perform many of the tasks normally done with a Gyuto.
Knife Model: JCK Original Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Clad Series Kiritsuke
Blade Material: ZDP-189 Clad
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 65
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Custom Hand-Made Octagonal Custom Hand-Made Octagonal Resin Wood Hybrid Handle (Resin Wood Hybrid Ferrule & endcap with White and Blue Spacers)
Saya Included: Yes.
Kiritsuke 210mm (8.2")
Cutting edge length: 203mm
Total Length: 360mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 48mm
Handle Length: 142mm
Total Weight: 194g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use. For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left handler can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe the quality and cutting performance of Japanese knives are the best in the world, and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and sharp edge with your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knife should be your special cooking partner for long times.
This is the Powdered High Speed Tool Steel blade kitchen knife that has a rust resistance for easy maintenance. However, it may get rust, if kept in wet condition.
- Please do not put the knife in the dishwasher machine for cleaning.
- Please do not leave the knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash the blade, bolster and handle thoroughly, and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes, and keep it in dry place.
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, any hard shell foods such as lobster and crab.
- We recommend using Japanese whetstones to re-sharpen the knife, when it gets dull.