After Master Nagao retired in end of the year 2015 due to his old age and lack of successors, we have received many messages from his fans expressing regret at the news and messages recognizing his achievements and praising the high quality of his kitchen knives.
We were also shocked to hear the news about Master Nagao's retirement, but we know that his passion and craftsmanship will continue to live in his knives and will never be forgotten.
His strong devotion to creating the perfect sharpness and to researching the best way to achieve it made a very strong impression on anyone who knew him.
This is Master Nagao’s final collection and the last batch of his knife collection.
He managed to create a Damascus pattern like never seen before by incorporating his entire forging skill acquired throughout the years. The pattern of gentle waves beginning at the top of the blade turns into a more irregular and detailed Damascus pattern close to the edge. Knives with such an unusual Damascus design are rare, as this is an original pattern created in Master Nagao's unique forging process.
This knife have blade core of VG-10 stainless steel (HRc. 61) which is clad with Nickel Damascus Stainless Steel.
This knife features full tang construction, a stainless steel bolster and black pakkawood (Resin stabilized wood composite) handle scales. This provides a comfortable, secure grip and good blade balance.
The Gyuto is the Japanese version of the classic Western Chef’s knife. It can be used with a variety of different cutting techniques to achieve a wide range of kitchen tasks and is suitable for cutting the vast majority of meats, fish, vegetables and fruits. The Gyuto is true multi-purpose knife.
Knife Model: Hiromoto VG-10 Damascus Gyuto (Mater Nagao Final Collection)
Blade Material: VG-10 Nickel Damascus
Rockwell Hardness (HRc): 61
Blade Grind and Edge Shape: Double Bevel Edge 50/50
Handle Material: Black Pakka Wood Handle with Stainless Steel Bolster
Saya Included: No.
Gyuto 210mm (8.2")
Cutting edge length: 210mm
Total Length: 335mm
Blade Thickness: 2.6mm
Blade Width: 46mm
Handle Length: 116mm
Total Weight: 196g
This knife comes with 50/50 double bevel edge geometry for both right and left handed use.
For your information, Japanese Kitchen knives are generally designed for right hand use with a slightly thicker and rounded grinding on the right side blade and a less rounded (almost straight flat) grinding on the left side blade. However, both right and left hander can use the knives that have double bevel edge sharpened 50/50 without problems.
We believe quality and performance of Japanese knives are best in the world and hope you enjoy fine craftsmanship and spirits from your new knife. With proper cares, every Japanese knives can be your special cooking partner for long time.
This is the Stainless steel blade kitchen knife which has good rust resistance for easy maintenance. However even stainless steel blade kitchen knife has rust situation if you leave it with wet condition.
- Before starting to use the knife, please wash it with water for cleaning up.
- Please do not put this knife in the dishwasher, please hand wash.
- Please do not leave this knife in water or wet condition for long time.
- After using, please hand wash it and wipe it clean and dry with soft clothes. (Includes bolster and handle part)
- This is an extremely sharp knife. Please use special cares in using and storing it.
- Unlike German made knives, Japanese knife blades are ground to thin cutting edge for sharper cutting and easier re-sharpening. Please protect the edge from hitting hard materials to avoid chipping or cracking.
- Please do not use it to cut bone or frozen foods, hard foods such as lobster and crab which have hard surface.
- We recommend re-sharpening the knife using Japanese whetstones, when it gets dull.